A tasty way to use up left-over French bread.
Calories per serving: 270
Preheat oven to 190C
8x 2.5cm slices of French bread
2 tbs cocoa
50g castor sugar
1 whole egg
- Lay the slices of bread on a baking-sheet and toast in the hot oven for about 5 min.
- Meanwhile, combine the cocoa and half of the sugar and mix to a paste with a little of the milk.
- Boil the remaining milk, then add to the cocoa mixture, stirring well to mix
- Beat the egg, egg-yolks and sugar together until they are thick and light, then stir in the milk mixture.
- Arrange the toasted bread in a shallow ovenproof dish and carefully pour on the cocoa, taking care to soak each piece evenly.
- Place the dish in a baking-tin half filled with water and bake for 30min, sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with lightly-whipped cream.
MicrowaveUnsuitable for microwave cookery
Slightly stale bread is best, so don’t throw away any left-over French bread.
Unsuitable for freezing